Members Allowances


The Members' Allowances Scheme

The Members Allowances Scheme is part of the Council Const​itution and is reviewed on a regular basis. 

Setting the allowances

The council is required under government regulations made in 2003, and subsequent amendments, to establish and maintain an Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP) to review and make recommendations to the Council on the range and levels of remuneration for councillors (also known as members).

Access The Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003

The recommendations of the IRP are considered at a full council meeting where members decide whether or not to accept them. They may be accepted in full or in part only.

Independent Remuneration Panel reports

Please see the folder below for copies of reports relating to the Independent Remuneration Panel

Basic allowance

Hull has 59 councillors. They are all entitled to a basic allowance of £12,734 a year. This sum includes all telephone, travel and subsistence expenses in relation to duties within the city.

Special Responsibility Allowance

The amount of this allowance (paid in addition to the basic allowance) varies depending on the level of responsibility. It is paid only to the following councillors to reflect their special responsibilities over and above their role as a ward councillor –

  • leader of the council, deputy leader of the council and cabinet members
  • chairs of the scrutiny commissions
  • chairs of certain committees including Planning and Licensing
  • majority opposition party leader

Councillors may serve in more than one of these roles but can only receive one special responsibility allowance.

Travel and subsistence allowance

Travel and subsistence allowances can be paid to councillors for journeys outside the city boundary.

Allowances paid to councillors

Details of the allowances paid to councillors and co-opted members in recent years are available to download in the document library below

Note on Councillors and the Local Government Pens​ion Scheme

Councillors are no longer entitled to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. 

For further information about members’ allowances


Members and Council Information
Town Clerk's Service
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street
Map (link opens in a new window)Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349